Agüero: “I will not be returning to Atlético”
Some Atlético supporters were starting to believe striker Sergio ‘Kun’ Agüero was mulling over the idea of remaining at Atleti, despite publicly announcing back on May 23rd that he was ready for a change of scenery.
Kun’s father, Leo Agüero, told an Argentine radio station last week that his son would see out his contract with Atlético, setting off rumours of a possible change of heart by the forward.
On Wednesday, the Argentina international definitively dispelled doubts about his future at the Vicente Calderón.
“It is clear, I will not be returning to Atlético,” The 23-year-old told ESPN according to an EFE report.
“I spoke to the club, I issued a statement, and now my representatives are negotiating my exit from the club. I don’t know when the agreement will come, but I hope to find out as soon as the Copa América ends.”
Sporting director José Luis Caminero, who had high hopes of convincing the former Rojiblanco idol to stay on for at least another year, will likely focus all efforts on finding a replacement for Kun.
MARCA reported on Wednesday that, from the proceeds of Agüero’s sale, expected to be at least the €45 million of his release clause, the club will look to sign Radamel Falcao of Porto.
The Colombian forward’s release clause is €30 million, however, he does not have a European passport, which could complicate a move to Atleti.