Quique Sánchez Flores joined the Cadena SER radio programme ‘El Larguero’ Monday evening, and spoke openly about his regrets during his time at Atlético.
“Things have come to a point where it was impossible for me to continue”, said the coach before going into the matter with Diego Forlán.
“All parties have suffered from the situation. I didn’t want this, because we needed the best of a player who had already played a lot of games. Without Forlán’s goals, we failed to reach our goals.
“I’ve been very patient with him, I always thought that he’d recover [his best form] and he is still the player with the fourth most minutes played. But it’s my fault that we failed to get the best out of Forlán.”
Quique then commented on the 18 months he’s been in charge of Atlético.
“I think that during my time here the team has improved. We’ve enjoyed great moments and remembering them helps when you have to say goodbye. ”
A future as coach of Sevilla?
When Sánchez Flores was asked about his future, he admitted that he might take over as coach of Sevilla, one of Atleti’s biggest rivals.
“I’ll continue as a coach, but I don’t know where. There have been some rumours, but I haven’t talked to anyone yet. With all due respect to Manzano, Sevilla is a club that I’ll join sooner or later. There is a lot of mutual respect and a good feeling between me and the club.”
Meanwhile it is uncertain who Atlético will appoint as Quique’s successor. Earlier we reported that Joaquín Caparrós is a candidate, but lately the name of Luis Enrique has popped up often in the Spanish press.
The Barcelona B-coach, who will leave his current employer after this season, told MARCA, “Atlético is a more than interesting option, but there haven’t been any negotiations yet.”