Atlético are seriously considering the possibility of bringing midfielder Rubén Pérez back a year early from his two-year loan spell at Deportivo, AS reported on Monday.
The former Atlético B star spoke to the Spanish paper and gave the impression that he was flattered by the news of Atleti’s interest, though he remained mindful of his obligation to Depor.
“It’s nice to be remembered by Atlético even though there’s still a year left on my loan, but my priority is to help [Deportivo] to salvation,” he said. “The most important thing for me right now is my team’s situation. No one has told me anything, so I’ll have to wait. When the season ends, if we have to talk to Atlético, we’ll do it then.”
Rubén joined the ranks of Atlético’s youth system when he was 13, and has a contract through June 2014 with los Rojiblancos.
“I have a lot of faith in the people of Atlético because they have treated me well since I was very young,” he said. “I have a lot of love for them and I would greatly respect whatever they decide about my future. Whatever Atlético Madrid should want will be welcomed by me.”
Another option los Rojiblancos may consider this summer is to sell Rubén to one of a host of clubs interested in acquiring his services, Sevilla and Valencia reportedly amongst them.
Pérez was born in Écija, a city in the province of Seville, and likely wouldn’t mind playing for his hometown club, but it may be wise for him to keep that to himself…at least around Atleti fans.
“It’s always great that teams of that stature want you, and even more so if it’s Sevilla, which is close to my home; plus, a lot of my friends are of that club,” the player revealed. “I also have a lot of Betis friends.
“Despite all this, it isn’t essential for me. What I’m concerned about is that we save ourselves,” said the Andalusian, referring to his goal of helping Deportivo remain in the Spanish top flight for another campaign as they presently sit just two points clear of the drop zone.
With the possible departures of veteran midfielders Paulo Assuncao, Raul Garcia and Tiago from Atlético this summer, and keeping in line with the club’s plans to reduce wages and bank on the cantera for next season, club president Enrique Cerezo may once again call up Depor’s top dog Augusto Lendoiro to work out a deal for the U-21 Spain international.
A two-year loan for Rubén was bundled into the €12m agreement that landed us Filipe Luis from the Galician side last summer. That clause left many Colchonero supporters upset, as they felt Cerezo had allowed himself to be fleeced by his counterpart Lendoiro.
Whether it was some sleight of hand by Lendoiro or submission by Cerezo, the fact of the matter is that the numbers so far support Lendoiro as the savvier trader. Filipe has started 16 league matches for us, whilst Rubén has started 23 times for Depor in the domestic competition.
“I’ve always stayed out of negotiations between the two clubs,” Rubén admitted. “If Atlético want me, they will have to talk, I will follow their orders and I will have to leave. But, I’m very happy about the way I’ve been treated at A Coruña this season. The fans and my teammates have been wonderful to me.”