Miguel Ángel Gil Marín has told Spanish media that Atlético have rejected a €45m offer from Real Madrid for Sergio Agüero.
“Yesterday I received a €45m offer by Real Madrid for Agüero and I said no,” he said. “I’ve also turned down an offer by Chelsea, who were willing to spend €60m on both Agüero and Godín.”
Gil Marín then tried to reassure Atlético fans that their star player would not be crossing over to the dark side.
“I’m certain that because of the relationship that our club has with Florentino Pérez, (Real) Madrid will not be paying the clause of any of our players and we will not be sitting down to negotiate a deal for Aguero this summer,” he said.
However, Sky Sports News in the UK understand that no bid has been made by Chelsea and that the claims by Gil Marin have ‘no foundation’.
Cadena SER, Spain’s biggest radio network, reported earlier on Tuesday that Real Madrid would pay the striker’s buyout clause of €45m this summer.
Spanish journalist José Ramón de la Morena, the Director of the football radio programme “El Larguero” on the Cadena SER network, broke the story and claimed that Atlético officials “assume that at end of the season Real Madrid will pay the buyout clause for Kun Aguero.”
Kun has always maintained that he would never play for our eternal rival, so we hope for dear life that the Rojiblanco idol denies the claim soon.
This rumour surfaced just a day after it had been suggested that Diego Forlan was “desperate” to join los Blancos.
Amidst speculation of Rojiblanco manager Quique Sanchez Flores’ possible sacking, Gil Marín assured that Quique will complete the season with the club.
“Quique will finish the season with Atlético, and just like what was done last summer, we will sit down and talk.”