Juanfran set to join Atlético

The deal finally gets approved as the winger says goodbye

juanfran applauds Osasuna fans after agreeing Atlético move

Juanfran applauds Osasuna fans after
agreeing Atlético move (AS.com)

Atlético Madrid look to have finally tied up the transfer of winger Juanfran from Osasuna after the Pamplonan club president gave the deal the go-ahead, according to AS.

The 26-year-old former Real Madrid player said goodbye to the fans at Reyno de Navarra today after Osasuna’s 0-0 draw with Getafe.

Juanfran, also known as Juan Francisco Torres, will sign a three and a half-year deal that will keep him at Atlético Madrid until the summer of 2014.

The reported cost of the transfer is €4 million, which could rise to €5m based on certain incentives and achievements. The deal could be made official as early as this week.

At the final whistle of what would turn out to be his last game for Osasuna on Sunday, Juanfran stood in the centre circle and applauded the Rojillos fans for their support over the last four and a half seasons.

The Spaniard signs for Atlético as a direct replacement for the now departed Simao, who left for Turkish side Besiktas at the start of the transfer window.

The signing of Juanfran had been in doubt for the last few weeks, however progress into the next round of the Copa del Rey seemed to confirm the thoughts of Atleti fans everywhere that the team needs reinforcements!

The acquisition looks to be Atlético’s second of the window, with an agreement for the third almost reached with Sao Paolo defender Miranda, who will most likely join in the summer.

Are you happy with this signing? Do you think Juanfran is the player Atlético desperately need? Let us know in the comments!


  • 20corona

    I think he will do better then expected but he will not be the kind of player that can win us titles!
    And that’s what Atleti needs right now cause we are losing those kind of players.

  • We surely need a winger, and for that kind of money he might be not that bad, but im 100% sure he is not the class we need and he would have to be offloaded sooner than later.

    There were some rumours appearing again regarding Arda lately, that would be a proper replacement for simao, although I guess its not true since he would take non-eu spot that we couldnt afford.

  • palc

    We need a winger. Juanfran is a winger. End of story. 🙂

  • 7th

    then, what about alberto pera?, keko?, are not they winger?

    hope to see them in the first team next season.

  • palc

    I haven’t seen those wingers in action, but im sure Juanfran is better than them at this point and also much more experienced. We can’t depend too much on our canteranos, but give them first team action slowly.

  • Sash

    I hope Juanfran will be a good signing for us, he’s experienced with the La liga and is soon hitting his best years.

    Every supporter would love if a canterano could take the step to be a starter for the first team. Keko and Alberto are two talents, however I don’t think that any of them could give a stable enough performance week in and week out. They simply don’t have enough experience.

    Keko has been loaned out for 1,5 years I think, last year to valladolid where I heard he was “okay” and now to FC cartagena where he has trouble to get the coach full confidence. I could be wrong but that sounds like he isn’t ready to get an importnant role in Atleticos squad just yet, maybe he could be a substitute next year.

    Cedric has been great for numancia and it would be almost a crime if the board doesn’t bring him back. We have a buy back clause for the next season too, and we should wait a year to bring him back so he gets maximum from his stay at numancia, however rumours say that Barca and Chelsea are interested..

    My own Canterano dreams is that Borja Baston takes the step to the first team next year!