Atlético Madrid are looking to tie down star assets Antoine Griezmann and Saúl Ñíguez to long term contracts by June, according to reports in the Spanish press.
Both have attracted plenty of interest over the last few months, but AS say that the club want to keep the duo “for life” and are confident that a deal can be agreed.
After years of having their best talents prized away by richer and more glamorous teams, the tide may finally be starting to turn for the rojiblancos in the transfer market.
Torres, Agüero, De Gea, Falcao, Diego Costa and Arda Turan are just a few names who have been sold for big money in recent years, but if reports are to be believed, we are now no longer in a position where we have to cash in on our stars.
Griezmann was asked about the possibility of moving to a ‘bigger’ club after France’s 3-2 win over Holland last Friday, and told reporters that he was “already at one of the five biggest clubs in Europe”, music to the ears of Atleti fans.
The Frenchman has been continuously linked elsewhere since joining from Real Sociedad in 2014, but looks set to pen a new deal with a release clause in excess of €100m – a considerable increase from his current €60m figure.
He is one of the hottest properties in world football at the moment, and could be running out in red and white for years to come if AS have their sources right. They say both the player and his representatives feel he is at the best place for him to grow as a footballer.
Saúl on the other hand is a different case, given that he has only really made a name for himself this season in his second season under Diego Simeone’s command.
There has been uncertainty surrounding his contract all season, and reports back in January said that a winter move to Arsenal had been all agreed until Tiago broke his leg against Espanyol.
Since then the 21 year-old has been a fixture in the starting XI, and he too has caught the eyes of some of the big boys with his impressive form.
His father has supposedly been negotiating with the board for a while now, and last month he told press that “if Atlético offered me a contract for life, I would sign it right now.”
The hold-up is perhaps not surprising given that Jorge Mendes is his agent, but hopefully he will stay true to his word and commit his future to the club that developed him into the player he is today.
Saúl, like Griezmann, is already contracted until 2020, but is seen as a key part of the future and will become one our highest paid players if he signs on the dotted line.
Atleti are still waiting for a decision on their transfer ban following an appeal, and AS also claimed that two star signings are on the cards for this summer should we get the all clear from FIFA.
No names were mentioned, but a new number nine will surely be top of the list as long as there are no high profile departures.
We also anticipate news on Fernando Torres and Tiago, who are out of contract at the Calderón this summer. Both will hope for a renewal, but are free to talk to other clubs in the meantime.
With the transfer ban still up in the air, how happy are you with the current squad?