Atlético snap up Colombian starlet Santos Borré

Teenage striker will join from Deportivo Cali next summer

Santos Borré is rated highly in his homeland

Santos Borré is rated highly in his homeland

Atlético Madrid confirmed the signing of Colombian hot-shot Rafael Santos Borré for a fee believed to be around €5.5m on Friday afternoon.

The 19 year-old striker joins on a six year deal from Deportivo Cali, and will spend this season back on loan at his boyhood club before making the move next July.

Borré is regarded as one of the biggest upcoming talents in Colombia at the moment, and has caught the eye with his goalscoring form since debuting in the Liga Águila two years ago.

However, he is yet another in the long line of South American youngsters represented – and partly-owned – by Jorge Mendes. His investment fund Gestifute reportedly hold 50% of the player’s rights.

Many still have nightmares about the almost identical transfer that bought Raúl Jiménez to the Calderón last summer, although thankfully, Borré isn’t a self-confessed Madridista (at least to our knowledge).

An impressive total of 16 goals in 22 appearances for Cali this year have also earned comparisons to former Atleti favourite Radamel Falcao, who advised him to sign for the rojiblancos.

“I spoke with Jackson and Falcao, both told me wonders of Atlético.” said Borré, upon arrival at Barajas airport yesterday.

“Playing in Spain is a dream for me. Atleti is the highest level there is for a professional and thankfully I’ve had to chance to come here.”

Borré also represented Colombia at the U20 World Cup and South American Youth Championship earlier this year, and received his first call-up to the main squad back in March.

He and club president Álvaro Martínez have now returned to Cali, where the Atlético hierachy will be keeping a keen eye on his progress over the next ten months or so.

Also expected to complete a move before the end of the transfer window on Monday is highly-rated River Plate midfielder Matías Kranevitter, who arrived on Wednesday and has completed a medical in Majadahonda.

The hold up on official confirmation of his deal could be in regard to when exactly he incorporates with Cholo’s men. It had been agreed that he would join after the Club World Cup in December, but both Atleti and the player are supposedly pushing for that to be moved forward.

Having missed out on Thiago Motta – who signed a contract extension with PSG earlier today – a new midfielder would be useful, but River remain adamant that Kranevitter will be there until January 1st. Watch this space.

What do you make of our latest transfer business? Any insight on Borré or Kranevitter?

  • Atelti fan

    There are rumors that Atleti will be facing a transfer ban similar to the one faced by Barcelona presently. Are atleti doing these deals, like kranevitter arriving 6 months later (now confirmed), santos borre arriving 1 year later, bernard mensah arriving 1 year later, inspite of having abundant good options in both attack and midfield, in view of the upcoming transfer ban and that they may lose any of their star players during the period of the transfer ban?
    I for one certainly hope not.
    Anybody know anything about the transfer ban?

  • Must admit I’ve only heard things about this player, and even then, very little. I’ll have to trust the judgment of Atleti in bringing him to the club. Definitely open-minded about the deal, though, and looking forward to see what he’s got to offer.

  • I haven’t heard anything since the days before the transfer window opened. Not even rumors so I have no idea where the situation is at.