According to numerous newspapers in Colombia such as El Heraldo and the prestigious El Tiempo, Atlético de Madrid have signed Rafael Santos Borré from Deportivo Cali.
Borré’s agent, Helmut Wenin spoke to El Heraldo and said both clubs have accepted terms and the deal is complete.
Borré is just 19 years old and his good performances with the Colombian U-20 squad, got him his first call up from Colombia coach, José Pekerman.
This rumor popped up a few weeks ago and its credibility grew on Aug. 4, when Borré said, “Only a bit more is needed for my transfer to Atlético, but I’ll probably stay one more year with my team, Cali.”
Now, a week later, it seems the deal is done and dusted as the Colombian youngster is set to sign for Atlético for a sum between 3.8-5 million euros.
It’s yet to see whether Borré will stay with Deportivo Cali until next year, like it was previously presumed. But the youngster is for sure staying with this hometown club until the end of this year.
“He’ll be playing for Deportivo Cali until the end of this year,” said Wenin.
With Benfica reportedly buying Atletico’s 50 percent of Raúl Jimenez’ rights, will Borré be his replacement?
Maybe it’s more likely Borré is replacing Leo Baptistao.
Leo was loaned to Villarreal this season, where he has impressed during pre-season, with an option to buy.
If Leo continues his form throughout the season, it’s likely Villarreal purchase the Brazilian.
If this signing goes through, it’s important to mention the overbooking of non-EU players on the squad: José María Gimenez, Ángel Correa, Jackson Martínez, Emiliano Velasquez, Jimenez and now Borré.
In total, six players for three spots.
Although, Jimenez is most likely leaving and Gimenez can apply for Spanish citizenship this year. Whether or not Gimenez gets his Spanish passport is another question.
Borré is a promising striker, but will he have a chance at Atleti?