The worst kept secret in football was finally made official late on Wednesday evening, as Atlético Madrid announced it had agreed a deal to sign Colombian striker Jackson Martinez.
The move to sign the Porto forward had been sealed for almost a month, according to the player’s agent. The delay was reportedly over how Atlético will pay the reported €35 million that makes up Jackson’s release clause.
Porto officially announced the deal back on June 30th when they published a document, as required under their shareholder agreement, confirming that Atleti were activating the Colombian’s buy-out clause.
Jackson is set to join Atlético on a four-year deal, swapping the blue and white of the Dragões for the red and white of the Indios.
The 28-year-old has spent the last three seasons in Portugal, scoring 92 goals in 133 games. He also has 38 full international caps, and featured in the World Cup for Colombia last year.
Atlético fans were getting a bit edgy as time ticked on, unaware of why the transfer was being delayed.
Enrique Cerezo even denied all knowledge of the transfer at a press conference last week, but now the move has been completed.
“We are very pleased with the signing, as Jackson is an extraordinary striker, able to finish any opportunity,” said Caminero, Atleti’s sporting director.
“Thanks to his size, he heads very well, and he can use either feet to shoot. I am sure that he will dramatically increase the potential of our team. We are delighted with his signing because he is a player used to competing at the top level in Portugal, and he’s played very well in the Champions League.”
In fact, Jackson has scored 13 goals in 24 games in the Champions League for Porto, and played alongside Óliver Torres as they reached the quarter-finals of the European competition last season.
It is expected that Jackson will begin the second week of pre-season training with Atleti, after returning from the Copa America.
Now that the transfer is complete, the attention can move to Porto’s interest in some of Atlético’s players.
As part of the deal, the Portugese outfit is said to have asked about the availability of Moya, Raúl Jiménez and even the return of Óliver to the Estádio do Dragão.