Saúl Ñíguez extends contract until 2020

Atleti tie down future midfield leader for the next five years

Saúl commits his future to Atleti

Saúl commits his future to Atleti

Atlético Madrid announced on Tuesday that midfielder Saúl Ñíguez has put pen-to-paper on a contract extension that will keep him at the Vicente Calderón until 2020.

The 20 year-old did still have four years left on his current deal, but has put rumours surrounding a possible move away from the club to bed and committed his future to the rojiblancos.

Earlier in the season, Saúl was said to be unhappy with his lack of first team action, but he has become an important player in the new year and starred in the 4-0 win over Real Madrid back in February.

He joined the club from Real as a cadete seven years ago, and has risen rapidly through the ranks both at club and international level since then.

In 2010, he joined up with Atleti B on a full time basis, becoming a fixture in the reserve side at the tender age of 15.

Last year he enjoyed a successful loan spell at Rayo Vallecano, featuring regularly in La Liga and gaining experience in a number of different positions

Whilst on loan, he also joined the Jorge Mendes empire and signed a deal with the notorious Portuguese super-agent, who supposedly owns a portion of his rights.

“For me, wearing this shirt is the best feeling there is,” said the youngster in a press conference after this morning’s training session.

“I’ve been here since I was a kid, and the people have always taken care of me. I’m very grateful, and have to continue working in training to get more minutes.

“My dream is to play every game possible and be at Atleti for many years.”

After the news of a possible transfer ban reached the airwaves last week, this will be music to the ears of fans concerned about the long term future of the team.

We could see a much more youthful looking Atleti in 2015/16, especially with Óliver Torres and Ángel Correa expected to have roles.

Despite missing the whole of March through injury, Saúl has played 32 times in all competitions this season, scoring 4 goals.

Have you been impressed by Saúl this year? Should he be starting more often in midfield?

  • Ahmad Hossainy

    Saul already had a contract until 2019, so I can’t exactly call this an extension, but contract improvement is what really it is, we can think of a raise of both his salary and his buy-out clause
    And we all hope for a similar thing for Griezmann & Oblak who both have contracts until 2020 but need some improvements, and we hope for both an extension and improvement for Gimenez’s & Oliver’s contracts which ends in 2018

  • Abdil Egriøz

    I like the way we are headed #BrightFutureAhead!

  • He knows he can become as great as Koke here.

  • Yes, a better salarie and up-ing the buy out clause just occurred. Griezmann is waiting to see if we are in the UCL next year. That is my guess. I don’t blame him if that is the case. With the way Seville and Valencia are playing, and the refs not giving us our deserved goals, we could suddenly find ourselves in 5th place. (I know, very pessimistic.)

  • urban

    On one hand this is surely something to be happy about.

    However, there is no word in the press about the buy-out clause, and in my opinion this is slightly concerning. Usually high release clauses are revealed (to scare off other clubs), and if they are kept secret it is usually because they are to be used by the agents and the clubs in their transfer games. What is even more worrying though, his agent is Jorge Mendes. You dont appoint Mendes as your agent and pay him his fees if you are 100% focused on staying and your club and you just want to extend your contract. He is a transfer agent with the best connections in Europe.

  • urban

    What I mean by my post is that he just keeps his option open. He seems like a very smart guy and he is definately playing this well from his point of view. He surely wants to “triumph” at Atletico, but I think that as soon as he realises that the club is holding him back he will be ready to leave to fully develop his talent somewhere else.

    On a side note, I am worried that our club does not have a precise plan for development of our most talented midfielders. Koke was a natural CM, but instead he was played as a winger, and now again he is to be moved to more center position. Saul as a canterano was played on almost every position of the pitch, then was loaned to Rayo to play as DM and even more as CB, and once he returned he is used as a winger. While I personally think he has the qualities to play as a CM, as he lacks the final pass to play right behind the stirkers but is competent defensively.

    In any case I am a great fan of his. He is much more skillfull than Koke, but Koke has already showed all the mental qualities to be a great mifdfielder which Saul has yet to confirm.